Tuesday, October 13, 2009

The Remarkable Red Thread

More than three years ago, soon after our paperwork went to China, a woman tried to create a network of families with children from China in our area.  There were about 10 families who either had children or were waiting to adopt, and they got together for a picnic.  We had another engagement and couldn't go, but I was excited that there would be an opportunity for Sarah to socialize with other Chinese girls when she arrived.

That was the last I heard from the group.  Apparently, people were too busy or weren't motivated to continue.  Sunday, I decided to send an email to the list of folks who had been involved to see if anyone has a daughter around Sarah's age.  That evening, I got a message back from a woman who lives about 15 miles from us.  She and her husband are in China right now getting their one-year-old daughter, who happens to be from the same province as Sarah!  What wonderful luck (or is it the Red Thread that Chinese lore says binds all those who are meant to be together?). 

Of course, it will probably be after Christmas before this family is ready to get together, but it warms my heart to know that Sarah will have a little friend who has experienced the same thing she has.  There is such comfort in knowing someone who understands what you're going through, and I really hope for that for her.

No comments:

Post a Comment