Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Down with Doctors

Sarah had her 15-month Well-Child visit today.  Well, this child is still not keen on medical personnel.  Maybe every baby screams the way she does and I'm just overly sensitive to it because she's my daughter, but it breaks my heart. 

I decided we could go along with the protocol this time and get her undressed for her measurements.  That threw her into a panic, and she lunged for Daddy to save her.  The nurse managed to get some readings despite her protests.  She's up to 24 lbs., 4 oz. (71st percentile); 32" long (85th); and 46.5 cm head circumference (68th).  She's a big, healthy girl.

Once we were in the examining room and she had calmed down, she sat on my lap for the exam.  The instant the stethoscope touched her chest, she erupted again.  This didn't bode well for the vaccinations that were coming up. 

Being the cagey mom, I got Dad to hold her for the shots so I could be the rescuer.  The poor little thing endured two in each thigh and two more in her arm.  She got high grades from the nurse for her strength -- she's a sturdy farm girl.

On the way home, she sat in stunned silence, clutching a Fig Newton but refusing to eat it.  To make things worse, she started to doze about five minutes from the house, and I started hassling her to keep her awake (falling asleep in the car seat has doomed many naps).  She's now snoozing peacefully, dreaming of a land without doctors, no doubt. 

No comments:

Post a Comment