There were about 200 people there, maybe 2/3 Chinese and 1/3 American. I was pleasantly surprised to see so many Chinese in the area. I had feared it would be hard to expose Sarah to Chinese customs and language in our rural area, but it turns out there is a strong Chinese organization and even language and dance classes. Perhaps Sarah and I will take some Mandarin when she's a little older and she'll be on stage at a future New Year's event.
Although she didn't seem too interested in most of the people who looked like her, Sarah did spot a four-year-old Chinese girl a few rows behind us and was fascinated by her (she was captivating in a royal blue satin dress). She was another adoptee and had an older sister. We met the family at dinner after the show, and they live in a town close to ours, so I hope we'll get together some time.
Dinner was a Chinese buffet, and I'm sure it was very good, but I didn't get to enjoy it much. Something to do with eating with an 18-month-old.... The people at our table asked if Sarah could use chopsticks. We told them that getting her to use a fork or spoon was tough enough, and I think they learned quickly that her preference is no utensils at all. It hadn't occurred to me just how "uncivilized" she was until we were in public. Oh, well, I guess that's to be expected of a toddler.
After dinner, all of the children got little red envelopes (hong bao), with money in them. Sarah wasn't impressed, but the other kids were thrilled with their one-dollar bills. She fell asleep on the drive home, one pooped partier.
Note: Chinese New Year is actually February 14 this year, so don't forget to wish your Valentine "Gong Xi Fa Cai."







Lauri, it sounds like it was a wonderful experience! She looked absolutely beautiful in her little outfit!
ReplyDelete