Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Four Weeks of 4K...

...and I have a different daughter.  Gone is the screaming, pleading little girl I peeled off me the second week.  In her place is a happy, confident student who, this morning, insisted that I drop her off at the curb so she could walk into school -- all by herself.

Of course, we've been working our way toward this day for the last few weeks, but I didn't expect it to come so suddenly.  By last week, we'd progressed from my helping her with her backpack, coat, and folder in the hall, then walking her into her room and getting her seated at the coloring table before leaving, all the way to her taking care of her things then giving me a kiss and heading into class on her own. 

On Friday, her teacher sent me an email saying that, starting next week, parents should drop kids off at the school office instead of walking them to class.  She was giving me a week's notice so that I could prepare Sarah.  Yesterday, a note came home in Sarah's folder explaining the new routine.  I wasn't sure how she'd respond, but when I read it to her, she yelled, "Let's do that tomorrow!"

As we know, once Sarah sets her mind to something, it's as good as done.  This morning, on the way to school, she told me over and over, "Now, Mom, you need to drive up right in front of the school, and I'll get out and walk in all by myself."  I did, and she did. 

I stood by the car waiting to see if she could open the door by herself, but she instructed me to get back in.  She marched up to the door, heaved it open, slipped inside, and that was the last I saw of her.  It was a bit disconcerting, but I knew she could find her way to class, so off I drove, feeling somewhat unneeded, but mostly very proud.  I wonder what she'll be tackling a month from now....

No comments:

Post a Comment