Monday, June 18, 2012

My Little Ballerina

Sarah had her first dance class last week.  Since we attended a mom-and-tot music class for about a year and she never left my lap, I wasn't willing to make a long-term commitment, so we're trying a six-week summer class.  She was very excited as the time drew closer, and I was pretty sure she'd participate, but she still wanted me to be there.  I assured her I would.

When we arrived at the studio, I was surprised to see a bunch of moms in the lobby sitting and chatting, while they occasionally glanced at their daughters on a TV screen on the wall.  Uh, oh...I started to worry that I wouldn't be allowed in the studio.  When the young (maybe 12?) assistant came out and led the students back to the studio, I went along and asked if I could stay.  Fortunately, she said yes.  Another mom stayed for a few minutes, then left.  A couple of the girls left the studio during class to get their moms, too, so I guess Sarah wasn't the only one feeling uneasy.

It took Sarah a few minutes to get the hang of listening to the teacher, but then she did great.  They started with stretches on the floor.  When they all stood to continue stretching, Sarah remained seated and just did the arm movements.  I started to wonder....  When told to line up on the blue line, though, she followed along, choosing to stand at the end.  She did a great job of mimicking the teacher and the other kids and had fun. 

I think by the end of the session, I'll be able to stay out in the lobby, although I have to admit, I'd rather be in the studio.  It's hard to say which of us depends on the other more in social situations.  :)  You'll notice that Sarah was one of the few girls not wearing a tutu and ballet shoes.  Oh, the burden of having a sensible older mom.  We may have to rectify the situation before the next class.



No comments:

Post a Comment