Friday evening, I gave Sarah a bath, put on her pajamas, read her three bedtime books, said her goodnight prayer, rocked her while singing
My Favorite Things, and put her in bed with her beloved doggie and blanket. Soon after, I was on the couch beside Don watching
The Blind Side. When the movie finished, I turned to him and asked, "A few months ago, did you think we'd ever enjoy an evening like this?" There were times I didn't.
It's amazing how far we've all come in the last nine months. It was hard to recognize progress at certain points, but it was being made nonetheless. Each day was bringing us closer to the comfort and security of an ordinary evening. Let's hear it for a quiet night at home....
The evening routine in our house was always something I enjoyed. The boys, even now as grown ups, still fondly remember bath, jammies, reading stories, playing games as they got older - just being together. It goes by so fast - enjoy every second!!
ReplyDeleteSometimes its just the simple things that bring us so much pleasure. It reminds me of how much Annie has grown as well :)
ReplyDelete