They played for a few minutes, then the mom said, "I think it works best if you leave right away." I hesitated, but then, since Sarah seemed relaxed, I thought she might be right. I said a quick goodbye and stepped out into the hall. Sarah immediately started screaming. I waited to see if she'd stop soon, and when I didn't hear her for about 15 seconds, I thought she might have. I realized she'd been holding her breath when she drew in another and continued to wail.
I waited for about five minutes, but she kept getting more panicky. I went back in, and she lunged for me. I sat on the floor and tried to get her to play with me, but she kept crying and signing "car" and "home." We stayed for the rest of the hour, and she did finally play on the slide, but she ended up crying again before it was time to leave.
I'm sick about this. I should have known that I needed to stay longer before I left. I made a snap decision, and it was the wrong one. I'm afraid that I've set Sarah back again in terms of trusting me to be there for her. She is certainly not over her separation anxiety. Looking on the bright side, maybe I proved that I will come back when I leave, but she didn't seem to appreciate the lesson.
Some people have told me that there isn't much difference between parenting biological and adoptive kids. I agree that the similarities outnumber the differences, but those differences can be profound. Biological kids have such a solid foundation with their parents that most of life's transitions, no matter how difficult, are mere speed bumps. For adopted children, the same events can be like hitting a brick wall. That doesn't mean that all adopted kids have trouble with change; it just means that adoptive parents need to be vigilant and proactive. It adds another layer of complexity to parenting.
I know that this morning's incident hasn't scarred Sarah for life, but I fear that it may have set her back in terms of trust and independence. It seems we take two steps forward, then one step back. Adopted kids' development tends to be fluid, rather than linear, ebbing and flowing. It's not uncommon for them to regress in some areas while making progress in others. Sarah's sleep challenges have certainly taught me that I can't count on issues being resolved permanently. They can be triggered anew by certain events.
Of course, temperament can override an individual's life experiences. Some kids are born unflappable, while others are naturally sensitive. Even the adoption experts assured us that letting Sarah cry was the best way to get her to sleep well. We found the opposite to be true. When it comes down to it, a child should be parented according to his/her specific needs. Parenting is an art, not a science.
My scientific background isn't helping me much in the parenting department. Neither is my tendency toward black-and-white, all-or-none thinking or my penchant for order and completion. Children don't come in tidy packages, they don't fit into prefabricated boxes, and they don't follow checklists. My creativity is being tested, and I'm dealing in more gray than ever before. Sarah isn't the only one growing around here.







I have to agree that the role of parenting our girls is a challenging one. We are constantly learning and if we do not provide opportunites for growth we may not know exactly when they are ready to move forward. Please don't be too hard on yourself, you are a great Mom!
ReplyDeleteOne thing being a mom has taught me is no child is alike. My husband and I have two biological children and are in the process of adopting a domestic infant. In all of the education we're going through, a huge stress is given to the fact that an adopted child will need a longer time when it comes to separation issues. In the situation you were in at church, if I hadn't had the education I'm receiving and I had been that mom, I would have said the same thing, Go on, it'll be easier. As I'm learning, I realize that's probably not best. Everything is a learning process, for all of us.
ReplyDeleteAs we go through our process, we're discovering how our biological children are being affected by the adoption. This is all a new experience. My oldest is 12, and I don't think I'll have parenting down even after he's out of the house!
A big hug to you, Lauri! I read somewhere that parenting children who were not in your home from birth is actually 50% more work than for biological kids. This makes sense on a lot of levels. Many people who parent biological kids will tell you "it's okay" and as you say, you have to be vigilant and do what you know is best for Sarah, notwithstanding the well meaning advice of others (me included ... ha). For years after we came home from China, we would deal with a new period of transition in behavior and sleep patterns after each time we traveled away from home. I know MANY other families who encounter the same. I think our kids crave the routine, and changes in it are sometimes difficult for them to process. I think this is true until they are 5-6 years old and can "begin" to grasp the permanence of their new home. Hang in there ... you're an amazing Mom!
ReplyDelete