Thursday, January 7, 2010

This and That

Tonight's the sixth night I've put Sarah to bed and let her cry.  The longest she's cried is 15 minutes, and that was just once (and still torture).  Most nights she's cried for less than minute, thank goodness.  She cried a few times during the night for the first few nights but hasn't in a couple of nights now.  Last night, we didn't hear anything from her from 7:15 to 6:00.  I actually got a good night's sleep!

Have you seen the show "Modern Family"?  We just started watching it a few weeks ago, but I'm hooked.  I just love Mitchell and Cameron, the gay guys with the adopted Asian daughter.  Last night, they were "Ferberizing" their baby, or letting her cry.  Mitchell was being hard-nosed about it, and Cameron kept running in to rescue her.  It was hysterical. 

Ironically, the first time we watched the show, Mitchell had thrown the baby in the air and hit her head on the ceiling.  They rushed her to the hospital to make sure she was okay.  The doctor said she was fine and, "Babies are made for new parents."  A few days before, Sarah had dived head-first off the living room chair, and I'd caught her by her feet just before her head hit the floor.  I was beside myself with worry that she had been hurt.  I Googled symptoms of a brain injury.  I kept checking to make sure her pupils were equal.  Don told me she was fine.  It wasn't until I read that you don't need to worry unless the baby is unconscious for more than a minute or two that I decided she was probably okay.

Speaking of Sarah, it's time for an update on her activities.  The big news is that she's now walking!  She's taken 22 steps in a row.  She's still not confident in it and has to be coaxed to do it, but she's proud as a peacock when she does. 

Other tidbits:
  • She holds her fist under her chin to say grace before dinner.
  • She knows about 40 signs and uses them all the time.  She's got "thank you" down cold and is learning "please."
  • She often gets jealous when Don and I talk to each other and starts yelling for attention.
  • She mimicks my frustrated growl when Sophie claws the furniture.
  • She loves Swedish sausage, which Don makes at Christmas, much to my disgust (there's something about stuffing pig intestines with mashed up potatoes, beef, pork, and onion that turns me off).  It's about the blandest food there is, and I'll wager she's the only Chinese girl with a taste for it.
  • When the Christmas lights were on the bushes out front, she would look out each night and sign "flower."
  • She shaves with Daddy's electric shaver.
  • She loves to dance with Mom and raises her arms and whines when a good song comes on.
  • She loves her dog and shares Cheerios with her on the floor.  She even teases Cadi by holding out a Cheerio then taking it back.  Cadi has been amazingly patient with her.
 That's it for now.  I'm off for a good night's sleep in my own bed!  :)

1 comment:

  1. I absolutely love your blog. I remember the "let her cry" days well. Sadly, my daughter is 7 and I still have to let her cry sometimes. Eh, we're working on it. :)

    I wanted to suggest that you may want to have your daughter try a dance class at the YMCA when she's steady on her feet. I bet she'll discover a magical new world when she's ready for it.

    ReplyDelete