Sunday, January 17, 2010

Our Not-So-Little Girl

Sarah had her 18-month checkup on Friday.  She is almost 34" tall and 26 lbs. 6 oz.  That's the 97th percentile for height and 75th for weight...on the U.S. charts.  For southern China girls, she's barely even on the charts.  I was ready to predict she'll be the first Chinese player in the WNBA, until I Googled and found out Haixia Zheng was.  Darn.

Sarah still doesn't like doctors, but she did much better this time.  In fact, she started showing off and charming the pediatrician.  The doctor asked us if she was saying any words.  When we said, "Mama and Dada," Sarah started repeating them over and over, and smiling from ear to ear.  We got away with just one shot, and we talked the nurse into giving it to her while she sat in Dad's lap.  She definitely did better that way than when she was pinned down on the table.  Big improvement.

The doctor isn't concerned about Sarah's lack of speech.  Sarah vocalizes a lot and understands just about everything we say to her.  I've read that sometimes when a child is working really hard on one skill, development of others can take a back seat.  Since Sarah had so many physical skills to catch up on and she can communicate most of her needs with signs, I think speech hasn't been a priority.  I bet she'll make great strides in the next six months.

Speaking of signs, Sarah learns quickly and is eager to use all that she knows.  The DVD she got for Christmas has "doll" on it.  She was playing with a dolphin in the tub the other day.  When I told her what it was, she immediately signed "doll."  Another new sign is "read."  Now, when we're going through the family photos on the fridge and come to Don's son Reid, she makes the sign for "read."  Homonyms are tricky.

Sarah is finally willing to drink milk from a sippy cup (water has been acceptable for a long time, but not milk).  We're now down to one bottle a day.  I'm surprised by how easily she's given up her morning and evening bottles.  I'm also a little sad, since those are the ones that I used to give her (Don does the one before nap).  The days of cradling her in my arms are gone.  :(

Lastly, I've been feeling guilty about yesterday's post.  With all the tragedy and hardship in Haiti, I'm afraid I sounded rather insensitive and shallow.  My thoughts and prayers are with all those suffering such devastation, and I'm keenly aware of just how blessed I am.  I couldn't ask for anything more in life.  I wish everyone could be so fortunate.

No comments:

Post a Comment