Wednesday, September 12, 2012

As They Say in China, Hallelujah!

She did it!  Sarah made it to school and back home with no tears today. 

She wasn't keen on getting up (remember when I couldn't get her to sleep past 5:30?) and hid under the covers, but I was silly with her and finally coaxed her out.  She was chipper from then on.  At one point, she said, "Mom, we're going to talk about school at breakfast, okay?" and my heart fluttered, but it turned out she just wanted to hear about all the fun things she'd be doing.

On the drive in, she said, "Mom, I'm going to try not to get mad at school today."  She marched down the hall holding my hand, put her backpack away, did her check-in procedure and said hello to the teacher, and took a seat at the coloring table.  I gave her a quick kiss and vamoosed.  No drama whatsoever!

She arrived home in a buoyant mood, yelling goodbye to the driver as she stepped off the bus.  She was so excited to show me all of the things she'd brought home and share her day.  They went to the school library today, and she got a book and a bookmark, which was a real prize in her eyes.

As she sat down for lunch, she said, "Mom, I decided to get used to it today."  I yelled, "Hallelujah!" and she replied, "That's Chinese, right?"  A few minutes later she said she wasn't sad or embarrassed or mad at all today, just happy.  And a little proud, I think.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment