We unintentionally ended up with two roosters. We knew we had a Rh*de Island R*d, but it became apparent a while ago that the large black chicken is no hen. We may have to sell one of them, as they will likely start to fight (in addition to making twice the noise at daybreak). The red one is borderline aggressive and makes me nervous when I tend the flock. He's the one I'd like to see go, as I want to feel comfortable letting Sarah collect eggs. Don thinks he's a good defender of the hens, however. I believe the other one is a Black L*ngshan, a breed from Ch*na. He is gorgeous and docile. I think he's the keeper.
We've been getting up to eight eggs a day, so we're back to selling the surplus. At noon on Fridays, we put a cooler out front and accept goodwill donations, which are used to support Sarah's and my tag saling habit. Keep up the good work, girls!
The world would be a better place if more people kept chickens. Watching them stroll around the pen, eating bugs and grass and softly clucking to one another, soothes my soul. Dogs and cats get credit for lowering their owners' blood pressure, but our chickens are more dependable in that area than our house pets, who often raise mine.







No comments:
Post a Comment