Since we would be home well past our usual dinner time, we decided to start a tradition of picking up Chinese food on the way. A new restaurant just opened in the town next to ours, and I've been excited to take her there to see people from her homeland. I was even hopeful they might take an interest in her and we could establish a relationship that would benefit her.
So, despite the rain and extra time it took, we all went in to pick up the food. We had no sooner stepped in the door than a Chinese woman waiting to order spotted us and headed our way. She asked if Sarah was adopted. I said, "Yes, from Jiangxi Province." She introduced herself and asked if we were aware of the Chinese organization in La Cro**e. She is the treasurer, and they're planning a Chinese New Year celebration in February. She went on to tell me about the Chinese classes she teaches on Saturdays and to give me her contact information.
Jackpot! I had heard of a group in La Cro**e years ago when we started the adoption process but had been unsuccessful in tracking them down again recently. I'm so excited to have connected with someone who can help us teach Sarah about her heritage. This will be important, since we don't live in the most racially diverse area. I left stunned that my little plan had worked so well.
The three of us had a ball at dinner. Sarah loved the lo mein and seemed downright joyful. She was animated and funny and reveled in entertaining us. I think she is very happy in our little family. Of course, she was up way past her bedtime and awake and ready to start the day at 3:50 this morning. I guess that's the price we pay for precious memories. I just hope my sleep-deprived brain can retain them....







I was hoping to see some Holiday updates! The picture of Sarah and the dog looking out the window is priceless. Lauri, I am so happy for you and so moved by your entries!! Sarah is one very lucky little girl!! Happy Holidays!! Snuggle up with that precious little doll tonight! ~Donna
ReplyDelete